How to Prevent and Treat Acne/Pimples
Pimples are one of the most common skin problems that affect people of all ages. There are many factors that can contribute to pimple formation, such as hormones, genetics, stress, diet, hygiene, and medications. Pimples can also be caused by excess oil, dead skin cells, bacteria, and inflammation in the pores of the skin. Acne can appear anywhere on the face, neck, chest, back, or shoulders. They are annoying, painful, and sometimes leave scars. While some of these factors are beyond our control, there are some things we can do to prevent and treat pimples effectively.
Here are some tips to help you keep your skin clear and healthy:
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser that suits your skin type.
- Avoid scrubbing or using harsh products on active pimples, this can irritate your skin, make pimples worse and spread the bacteria to unaffected areas.
- Exfoliate your skin with a exfoliating mask/cream/toner once or twice a week. Look for with a mild product that contains an AHA or BHA ingredients. This will help remove dead skin cells and unclog pores.
- Exfoliate your body 2-3 times a week with an exfoliation glove instead of a sugar scrub.
- Avoid using any forms of exfoliation that has beads or shell chunks.
- Apply a topical treatment that contains benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid to the affected areas. These ingredients can kill bacteria and reduce inflammation. Follow the directions on the label and use sparingly to avoid drying out your skin.
- Use a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic (won't clog pores) after washing your face and body. This will help get rid of acne instead of adding to it.
- Avoid touching, picking, or popping your pimples. This can spread bacteria and cause more inflammation, possible infection and scarring.
- Keep your hair clean and away from your face. Oil and dirt from your hair can clog your pores and cause pimples.
- Change your pillowcase and bed sheets regularly. Dust and oil from your pillowcase can transfer to your face and cause pimples.
- Eat a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid foods that are high in sugar, refined carbs, dairy, and saturated fats. These foods can trigger inflammation and hormone fluctuations that can lead to pimples.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and keep your skin hydrated.
- Manage your stress levels by practicing relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, or hobbies. Stress can increase cortisol levels in your body, which can stimulate oil production and cause pimples.
- Make sure your hormones are balanced if your still struggling to maintain acne. You can reach out to your provider to take a blood test.
Remember that pimples are not a sign of poor hygiene or bad character. They are a normal part of life that can be treated with proper care and patience. You are not alone in this struggle with acne! Pimples do not define your worth in beauty, you are beautiful no matter what!
Our clinic offers a personalized skincare routine and treatment plan to get your skin glowing!
Thank you so much for reading, with lots of love Dr.Bhogal @ Ethereal Rejuvenation Clinic.
Below there is some products we sell here in the clinic that will help with acne!